State Plan for Alzheimer's Disease & Related Disorders
Over 400,000 individuals are living with Alzheimer’s Disease or a related disorder in the commonwealth and the toll of this disease extends beyond those affected to their families, friends, and communities. Due to this epidemic, Executive Order 2013-01 was signed, establishing the Alzheimer’s Disease Planning Committee in 2013. Twenty six members were appointed to the committee which included a Pennsylvanian living with Alzheimer’s disease, representatives of families, and caregivers of persons living with and caring for individuals living with ADRD; the aging network, other Departments of state, providers from across the care continuum, leading researchers in pursuit of a cure and better care, and members of the legislature.
The committee produced the Pennsylvania State Plan for Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders and the plan was approved in early 2014. The plan, utilizing public input, outlines seven key recommendations to develop a strategy to mobilize the commonwealth’s response to the anticipated increase in the incidence of Alzheimer’s Disease and related disorders in Pennsylvania.
State Plan Task Force
In May of 2018, the Pennsylvania Department of Aging announced the formation of Pennsylvania’s Alzheimer’s State Plan Task Force. The task force was created to take a lead role in implementing and championing the goals and recommendations of Pennsylvania’s State Plan for Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders.
Objectives of the task force include:
- Working with local organizations, entities, advocates, and other stakeholders to identify and share best practices that support the goals and the overall success of the plan
- Leading efforts to review and revise the state plan, as necessary
- Developing and facilitating the actions needed to carry out the plan
- Encouraging research and reviewing any other issues that are relevant to Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders
- Assisting in planning the annual Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Forum
- Assisting in the development of an annual update to the plan