Health & Wellness
The Pennsylvania Department of Aging's Health & Wellness Programs aim to promote healthier lifestyles among older Pennsylvanians so that there is a measurable improvement in their quality of life and subsequent reduction in overall healthcare costs.
The goals of these programs are to:
- Abolish the myth that inevitable functional decline comes with age
- Empower older adults with the information needed to age well
- Support older adults in making lifestyle changes to improve overall health
- Reduce the utilization of the healthcare system
Administered throughout Pennsylvania by the local Area Agencies on Aging, there are up to 27 evidence-based programs that focus on health promotion and disease and injury prevention. These programs assist older adults in self-managing:
- Chronic conditions (diabetes, arthritis, chronic pain, etc.)
- Mental health
- Medication Management
- Injury and disease prevention
- Substance Use Disorder
For more information on the Health & Wellness Programs offered in your area, contact your local Area Agency on Aging.