Begin Main Content Area


Senior Community Service Employment Program

The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is an on-the-job training program for low-income, Pennsylvania residents age 55 and older. Pennsylvania's Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is funded through Federal and non-Federal sources. Total funding for program year 2023 is $4,751,347. $4,276,213 (90%) comes from a US Department of Labor – Employment and Training Administration grant.  The other $475,134 (10%) is non-Federal and comes from state and local resources.

Program participants gain work experience at nonprofit and public facilities, including schools, hospitals, daycare centers, and senior centers which then serves as a bridge to outside employment opportunities.

Participants work an average of 20 hours per week, are paid the highest of federal, state or local minimum wage.

In order to participate in SCSEP, an individual must meet the following criteria:

      • Must live in PA.
      • Must be at least 55 years of age.
      • Must have a household income of no more than 125% of the federal poverty level.

To find out more about the Senior Community Services Employment Program in your area, contact your local Area Agency on Aging or the AARP Foundation

Submit an application to the Pennsylvania Department of Aging in accordance with the SCSEP Request for Grant Applications (RFGA) #2023-01.

Commonwealth Workforce Development System

CWDS links businesses and individuals to Pennsylvania’s workforce development and independent living services offered through PA CareerLink.

Office of Vocational Rehabilitation

OVR provides vocational rehabilitation services to help persons with disabilities prepare for, obtain, or maintain employment.

Pennsylvania CareerLink

PA CareerLink is a no-cost job resource. Job seekers can search and apply for job openings across the commonwealth online as well as create and upload a resume. PA CareerLink can also recommend jobs for you based on your preferences.

For more information visit the PA CareerLink website.