HEALTHY STEPS FOR OLDER ADULTS (HSOA)
Fall Prevention Evidence-based Program – Fall Risk Screening and Education
The Pennsylvania Department of Aging offers this falls prevention program to adults 50 years of age and older. The program is designed to raise awareness of falls, introduce steps on how to reduce falls, improve overall health, and provide referrals and resources. The program is taught by Certified Workshop Leaders and consists of two workshops, approximately 2-hours each in length, held on one day or two days within the same week. It is available in both English and Spanish.
HSOA addresses many common causes of falls:
- Environmental safety
- Balance, strength, flexibility, and endurance exercises
- Foot health
- Sensory deficits (vision/hearing)
- Side effects of medication
- Health status/disease states, including substance use
- The need to maintain an active lifestyle
- Social connectedness
- Mental and spiritual well-being
For information on attending an HSOA workshop, contact your local Area Agency on Aging.